To ensure governments provide and maintain well-resourced, free, inclusive public education systems, including diverse higher education opportunities; and to support both public and private education providers to deliver high-quality opportunities that equip students with understanding of community, civic responsibility, critical thinking, and meaningful connections to job/career opportunities.
Education is a cornerstone of society, and is vital for developing well-informed, tolerant, responsible and critical citizens who participate in community life. Education must be available to all Australians irrespective of socio-economic background or geographic location.
Our education systems need some re-imagining to meet the diverse needs of contemporary learners. But while innovation is required to deliver high quality service, listening to and working with teachers, educators and school support staff is integral to creating sustainable and sensible change.
The Australian Democrats will support legislation that:
- fulfils the right of every person in Australia irrespective of gender, ethnicity, class, socio-economic background, age, sexual preference, disability, religion, national origin or geographic location, to an equal level of educational opportunity, through the provision of teaching and educational facilities which enable the full development of their potential
- provides and maintains a well-resourced, free, inclusive public education system including robust tertiary opportunities
- funds education in line with the Gonski recommendations and funding model
- provides equal access to University that is based on an individual’s willingness to undertake such an education and not on capacity to pay
- ensures University’s have adequate federal funding to enable appropriate class sizes, specialist classes for international students developing English language skills, and academic rigour
- values education staff (including at tertiary institutions) with improved remuneration and access to permanent positions, to attract and retain staff
- revitalises trade schools, traineeships and apprenticeships as education pathways both within secondary school and beyond
- focuses particularly on early childhood development to overcome disparities in readiness for learning
- invests substantially in improving infrastructure in government schools to acceptable standards
- supports a tertiary studies allowance for rural, regional and remote students and a more relevant index for the isolated children’s allowance for school education.
- supports a funding mechanism or tax deductibility for all education related expenses including travel for rural, regional and remote families.
- improves access to better telecommunication services for rural, regional and remote families for education facilitation.
These policies were ratified by the members between the 15th - 28th of April, 2019. Australian Democrats policies are always subject to review - our policy volunteers consult with stakeholders outside the party, and members are strongly encouraged to participate by giving feedback at all stages of the policy process. If you have feedback or questions about our policies, contact firstname.lastname@example.org