Our vision is to ensure that we can all receive care that is both timely, and of a high standard of clinical quality. Parliament must take the time to understand the needs of all people and the community. We need to innovate in the health system and provide all people with the tools to improve their quality of life.
The Australian Democrats will support legislation that:
- Provides an equitable, high-quality health care system that is accessible to all Australians including in rural and remote areas;
- Provides access to health care for all on the basis of need and not the ability to pay;
- Supports health (including sexual health) education in schools, and invests in health promotion and targeted health campaigns to empower the public with information that will prevent or reduce the impact of some health conditions, and ways to access support;
- Views drug use as a health issue, and ensures drug laws are based on the best available scientific evidence and will prevent or minimise the harms associated with the use of licit and illicit drugs;
- Recognises the diverse health care needs of the Australian community, including people in rural areas, people with a disability, people who are elderly, people of diverse cultural backgrounds, and people who are gender diverse, and supports health care provision through training of service providers;
- Recognises the importance of mental health treatment and support, and increases access of these services to all Australians;
- Recognises and provides greater support to carers;
- Supports the rights of all Australians to full choice regarding pregnancy and reproductive health;
- Allows the right to refuse medical treatment, and right to a dignified end of life.