We’re dedicated to leading our nation to achieve real world sustainability.
We believe society has a duty to respond to the global challenges of climate change. We focus on our responsibilities as global citizens to protect and preserve the natural world around us, as the main provider of human life and wealth, for both current and future generations.
The Australian Democrats will support legislation that:
- Ensures partnership between environment and industry to achieve economic growth, jobs, and a sustainable, clean environment
- Ensures the transition to a sustainable, diverse and decentralised energy economy based on renewable sources, transitioning to a low-carbon energy sector whilst maintaining energy security and reliability to meet the needs of all communities
- Protects human and environmental health by minimising and preventing climate change through substantially reducing emissions
- Ensures Australia has a comprehensive, adequate and representative coastal and marine protected area system, with an emphasis on the Great Barrier Reef
- Ensures planetary biological diversity by anticipating, preventing and stopping processes that threaten biodiversity and fostering greater ecological awareness
- Supports population growth in a way that is in keeping with the environment’s capacity to sustain human numbers and that acknowledges Australia’s international human rights obligations
- Ensures availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all, and systems that provide for productivity, resilience and liveability, including the ecosystem services of catchments, waterways, and related groundwater
- Supports the work of, and encourages partnership with, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in land management and regeneration